ICONICO

Discussion Thread

Screen Calipers

Message Thread

For WindowsScreen Calipers

Screen Calipers iconThe accurate way to measure on a screen, at any angle in pixels, inches or any unit.

Posted in the Screen Calipers Forum.

Screen Calipers for Mac OS X Lion

Mac OS Lion (10.7) is just about to come out. The Rosetta app -- which Screen Calipers needs to run -- has been dropped by Apple and removed from the operating system.

The subject of possibly porting Screen Calipers to a Universal Binary was mentioned here on the forum almost two years ago, and that obviously never happened. Now that Screen Calipers (and other Iconico apps) will not run on the [soon-to-be] latest version of Mac OS, I'm curious to know if Iconico has any plans to update their suite of utilities...
by michael on Jul 8 2011 3:59am Reply

We are in the process of making a decision about this.
by Constantin Florea on Jul 9 2011 7:09am Reply

OK - OS X Lion is out.

Any decision on new version/update for Screen Calipers and other Iconico software?
by Alexander on Jul 21 2011 2:34am Reply

I Need the upgrade to Lion really usefull tools. I am willing to pay for an upgrade.
by Rodolfo Rubio on Jul 21 2011 5:31am Reply

I used the various Iconico tools a lot and have now lost them due to upgrading to Lion.  I'm now obliged to look elsewhere for urgent substitutes (if they are available).  Very surprised that Iconico has dropped the ball but I would also be happy to pay for upgrades.
by Bruce Ewen on Jul 22 2011 6:55am Reply

We will get back to you about this.
by Constantin Florea on Jul 22 2011 2:07pm Reply

I've already touched base with Constantin on this through e-mail, but I wanted to publicly add my voice to those calling for a Lion upgrade. I too would be willing to pay for that. The Screen Measurement pack is crucial for my work.
by Eric Scheidler on Jul 22 2011 6:27pm Reply

I, too, really really need to be able to run the Screen Measurement pack under Lion - am very dependent on it!
by Dan McDowell on Jul 25 2011 6:10pm Reply

I just installed Lion and in my dock is an icon of Screen Calipers with a slash through it. Obviously it will no longer work and I too am at a serious disadvantage. We are early adopters obviously but others will soon be installing the new OS and will, I am sure, be very upset that SC has not been at least made into a Universal Binary by now. I too will pay for an upgrade if you only make it available.

Thank you
by Robert Delikat on Jul 27 2011 10:22pm Reply

My screen measurement pack became useless after the upgrade to OSX Lion as well, which is not fair as you still sell it as compatible with "Mac OSX 10.2+" on your homepage.
The only workaround for beeing able to use these urgently needed tools is to install the windows version and to use the windows version via Parallels Desktop on Mac - which works fine.
Unfortunately it turned out that my licenses are bound to Mac! Would you please provide compatible licenses for customers like me, who trusted the "Mac OSX 10.2+" label, so that at least the workaround via Parallels is possible!?
by Felix Mueller on Aug 11 2011 2:58pm Reply

Please refer to the following forum post for a temporary solution:
http://www.iconico.com/discussions/view.aspx?id=17163&forum=1

When a final decision will be made about migrating, we will post it on the forum of each affected application.
by Constantin Florea on Aug 11 2011 5:34pm Reply

Constantin - 

It has been a month now since your last "were thinking" post.  

Any decision made? - No decision is worse that a bad decision <G>.

by Alexander on Sep 10 2011 10:04pm Reply

Sorry guys. There is no decision yet about this.

by Constantin Florea on Sep 11 2011 2:26pm Reply

I also need a Lion version of this and willing to pay for an upgrade. Just how big a job is it to port this to Intel chips?

Dave.
by David Bradshaw on Sep 16 2011 9:22pm Reply

well considering that they have just been thinking about it for 2 years, it must be an enormous job !
by John Smith on Sep 23 2011 8:47am Reply

I am really disappointed that I can not use these tools any more!  I would gladly buy a Lion update!  I am will have to look for a competitor you all don't update the tools set!  Loved them!
-Dale 
by Dale Strickler on Oct 16 2011 11:16pm Reply

Screen ruler from the App Store seems ok.  $2.99.  I would gladly pay more to get calipers back!
by Dale Strickler on Oct 16 2011 11:19pm Reply

I've posted here before imploring you to make a Lion/ML port, and I'm going to do it again. Please please make the port. I'd happily pay. There are now dozens of ruler apps littering the app-sphere. None of them are as useful as your Calipers. I've bought several of them and each one disappoints me in some way and makes me wish I could use yours again. It's very frustrating.
by Simon DEll on Oct 1 2012 4:32pm Reply

GraphicConverter 8, by Lemkesoft, can do the onscreen measurement functions. I don't like it as much as the Screen Calipers by Iconico, it doesn't have the same GUI ease of use, but it works in OS 10.8.2. You can set your calibration distance based on pixels to inches, cm, mm, whatever, and then measure away.

As I said before, not as graphically elegant, but in lieu of waiting for Iconico to update the Mac version to post-Rosetta, it's the best replacement I've found so far. There is also the added benefit of having the best all around graphics application out there.

TR
by TC Rich on Jan 15 2013 2:47am Reply

Perhaps you could open source it? We're now four versions of OSX past the point where Callipers stopped working and you're clearly not going to update it. It would be so useful and so welcome to have this running again.

by Simon Dell on Jan 20 2015 4:56pm Reply

Our Software Stores

IconicoAccurate Design and Development Software

BitsDuJourDiscount Deal Coupons for Windows and Mac Software Apps

Our Software Services

IcoBlogOur Official Blog

© copyright 2004-2024 Iconico, Inc. Code & Design. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Terms of Use Login