ICONICO

Discussion Thread

Screen Calipers

Message Thread

For WindowsScreen Calipers

Screen Calipers iconThe accurate way to measure on a screen, at any angle in pixels, inches or any unit.

Posted in the Screen Calipers Forum.

Running on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

As you know we are in the process of making a decision on whether to upgrade the Mac Measurement Applications to run on the newly released Mac OS X 10.7. Until then, we have decided to offer Windows licenses for those customers who have already purchased Mac licenses and need a way to run the tools on a Mac. The idea is that you can use Parallels or another similar program which would allow you to run the Windows Measurement Applications on a Mac. This is based on a suggestion from one of our customers.

So if you have already bought (a) Mac license(s) for one of our screen measurement applications (Screen Calipers, Screen Protractor and Screen Compass) and if you require to run the associated Windows application using Parallels or a similar program then please let us know using the following URL:
http://www.iconico.com/connect/feedback.aspx
and we will issue you the Windows serial number(s).
by Constantin Florea on Aug 11 2011 5:30pm Reply

I was (as I think all of the posts have reflected) hoping for a more definitive approach!

Sad to learn that although we were all aware of the impending release of Mac OSX Lion that nothing had been done to advance the "tools of the trade"!!

Time to seek another instrument!
by Leonard Bielory on Aug 19 2011 4:48pm Reply

Sorry,
That is not a realy good idea. A lot of customers do not run paralles or similar programs. Therefor I am very unhappy.
From my point of view that is a realy poor advice to run Screen Caliper via Windos on a MAC.

Regards
Herb
by Herbert Schmidt on Sep 10 2011 8:21am Reply

Agreed. That is way too complicated to be a "solution". Not owning Windows, I'd have to obtain that too; in fact, I'd have to upgrade Parallels, which is several upgrades out of date.  Since Iconico isn't helping, do any of you have alternatives you can suggest?
by Judy on Sep 20 2011 8:43pm Reply

Agreed.... I'm bummed. I've used Screen Calipers for years as was disappointed to see that they no longer work on Lion.

I've tried Parallels and VMWare Fusion and scrapped them both. I bought a Win 7 machine that I hate only to run Win programs.

Please develop a version of Screen Calipers that will run on Lion... We'll pay, but gitter done.
by Richard R on Dec 11 2011 5:57am Reply

Agreed.... I'm bummed. I've used Screen Calipers for years as was disappointed to see that they no longer work on Lion.

I've tried Parallels and VMWare Fusion and scrapped them both. I bought a Win 7 machine that I hate only to run Win programs.

Please develop a version of Screen Calipers that will run on Lion... We'll pay, but gitter done.
by Richard R on Dec 11 2011 5:57am Reply

Having a Mac virtualization program (like VMware Fusion, Parallels, or VirtualBox) will not necessarily help you use Screen Calipers on your Mac. For example, I have VMware Fusion, but I don't run it in "Unity mode" (what Parallels calls "Coherence mode") as I find it confusing and somewhat unreliable. In either of the other two modes (Full Screen or Single Window), a screen ruler would be confined to the Windows window and not available in the Mac part of the desktop -- in other words, only available to measure stuff within the Windows virtual environment.

This is not really a solution, sadly.
by William Johnson on Sep 29 2011 4:57am Reply

This is not a solution for our application. 

It has now been 4 months since the July Iconico message about consideration for producing a "real solution" for Lion. If there is to be no solution then please just tell us that and we will cease holding our collective breath.

Thank you,
by Robert Delikat on Nov 8 2011 5:22pm Reply

That is really no solution for those of us who have paid for both licences for Screen Measurement pack for both Mac and PC.

Does not really mess with lifetime support advertised when we brought the product

It would be good to have a version that works on 10.7

by Stephen Buckley on Dec 27 2011 9:21pm Reply

Whats more you are still advertising it as a solution for OSX 10.3+ 
If you are not going to support Lion please change your web site to reflect that fact
by Stephen Buckley on Dec 27 2011 9:25pm Reply

It's really a shame that I can no longer use this after paying for it and supporting future dev. I finally was forced to make the decision to move on to another product because I flat out refuse to run windows for a simple screen app because the developers won't provide a proper upgrade. I very much feel cheated here.
by Wayne Moore on Jan 11 2012 3:32pm Reply

Another "me too" vote for Lion redevelopment. I've been trying out several of the "bigger" alternatives (i.e. those which are easy to find via Google or App Store), and Screen Callipers is **still** the best implementation of this idea, by far. You nailed the interface - the mouse interactions all make sense, the visual cues & feedback are just what you need and the keyboard shortcuts are coherent and offer really useful functionality. None of the other measurement tools are so easy to use yet unobtrusive. 

I appreciated redevelopment time is costly and uncertain work... I just really, really hope you choose to do it. I'd be happy to pay a weighty upgrade fee to be able to continue using the tool going forward. I've even considered learning Objective-C just so I can offer to port it to Intel/Cocoa for you; **that's** how much I like it compared with the others available. 
by Simon Dell on Jan 31 2012 11:22am Reply

You posted back in July (about 7 months ago) that you were making a decision on support for Lion.  Evidently, Congress can make decisions faster that Iconico.  What gives?  Are you or are you not going to provide all of your faithful users with a version that can run under Lion natively?

You offered us the "Windows" work around as if Windows was the only game in town.  Apple, for your information, is now worth more than Microsoft and Google COMBINED.  I think it's time that Iconico got off their proverbial back side and let their customers know if we will be supported or left hanging.
by Robert Loesch on Feb 12 2012 7:42pm Reply

In the past I would tell almost every design professional I knew to get this app, but sorry guys you lost a vocal and loyal customer....

For all of you like me that are fed up of waiting for this to be available for Lion, go look at the mac app store. There are a number of comparable apps, all much cheaper than Screen Calipers. The most expensive is only $9.99, 1/3rd the price of SC. I really liked this app, but life goes on and at the end of the day you just gotta get the work done!

by Wayne Moore on Feb 29 2012 2:16am Reply

Another plea to Iconico:

Please, please, make a decision on Screen Calipers on OS X 10.7 Lion., and make it a "yes".

The current suggestion to run Windows on a Mac is not practicable. Why would a Mac user want to suffer the Windows interface? I think you have forgotten that it's not just Screen Calipers that would need to run under Windows, but all the applications that screen Calipers overlays.

If the answer is "no", perhaps you should hand the product over to another organisation to develop and support an up to date Mac version.
by David Howes on May 15 2012 8:31pm Reply

Is anyone at Iconico reading this thread?

A number of customers have made polite requests for information about the future of this product and there has been no recent response. Many of them have said that it was the best available - whilst it still worked earlier OSX versions. Surely there is a commercial incentive to upgrade this product?

Sorry to say I find the Iconioco position lamentable!
by Francis Wood on Jun 23 2012 8:11pm Reply

Our Software Stores

IconicoAccurate Design and Development Software

BitsDuJourDiscount Deal Coupons for Windows and Mac Software Apps

Our Software Services

IcoBlogOur Official Blog

© copyright 2004-2024 Iconico, Inc. Code & Design. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Terms of Use Login