ICONICO

Discussion Thread

ColorPic

Message Thread

For WindowsColorPic

ColorPic iconOur Windows Color Picker tool has an inbuilt magnifier and allows you to save full palettes of colors.

Posted in the ColorPic Forum.

Exporting colour palette & nameing chip grabs

I am using colorpic for map styleing and I would really like to "export" the palette to reference the colors later while working on other maps. I would also like to name the chip grabs for each section of the map. I have seen some answers to this in other posts and I was wondering if any of this is now possible.
by Wayne Stewart on May 8 2012 9:33am Reply

The export functionality is not built into ColorPic but you can make a copy of the palettes.xml file from the following path: C:\Program Files\ColorPic 4.1 (or the path where you've installed ColorPic). This is the file containing the ColorPic palettes. Also, naming and renaming the colors, is not possible in ColorPic.

ColorPro on the other hand:
http://www.iconico.com/colorPro/
has a lot more functionality regarding the export of palettes and naming the colors. Here are just a few:
- you can even create your own text export format for any palette and export the palettes under that format
- you can name any color chip inside a palette

ColorPro in it's trial version allows storing 8 colors per palette but the full version allows storing up to 2000 colors per palette.
by Constantin Florea on May 8 2012 10:19am Reply

Thanks for the help, I loving the colour tool
by Wayne on May 8 2012 10:30am Reply

Color Pro

Hi Constantin Florea

I am working with a map comparer on a local server and ColorPic was great for getting the RGB Colour from the two types of maps. I have now downloaded ColorPro but would like to be able to pick a colour as I have been doing with ColorPic from the IE page diplayed on the local server. I hope this makes sense.
by Wayne Stewart on May 8 2012 12:50pm Reply

Color Pro

When you select a color in ColorPro please notice that the color will be added in the current palette which is the one from the "Edit Palette" tab (usually the palette will stay on the left side of the application window when you activate the "Edit Palette" tab but you can also move it at the top of the tab).

Here are the steps to select a color in ColorPro:
Step 1: Switch to the "Edit Palette" tab and check the "Select Frenzy" checkbox (this is to ensure that after every new color selection, the cursor will be moved to the next color chip)
Step 2: Open the Magnifier window by pressing the Magnifier button from the top button bar
Step 3: Check the "Pick" check box which is inside the Magnifier window 

Now you are ready to select the colors by clicking the mouse anywhere on your screen. To end the selection you must uncheck the "Pick" checkbox or close the Magnifier window.

Once you have a palette built this way you can press the "Save Palette" button which is inside the "Edit Palette" tab. After pressing the "Save Palette" button, the palette will be saved by ColorPro in the user palettes folder and will be shown in the "Palettes" tab in the "User Palettes" section. It will be there every time you open ColorPro. From there you can export it to your own built text format or to a predefined format (it even supports exporting to Adobe, HTML, CSS, Adobe and a few other application formats).

If you have any other questions, please let me know.
by Constantin Florea on May 8 2012 2:23pm Reply

Color Pro

One more thing I want to add: in order to build your own text format for exporting the palettes you need to press the "Add New Export" button (from the "Palettes" tab -> "User Palettes" section) then press "OK" in the pop-up. This will open a new tab which contains the template for the default text export format which you can modify freely following the instructions within. 

The idea of the export format is that you can build it using your own words together with predefined parameters like RGB.RGB, RGB.R, RGB.G, RGB.B and many others available at a right-click of the mouse. 

Here's a simple example for building your own text export format. A simple text like this:
My color is RGB.RGB where red is RGB.R, green is RGB.G and blue is RGB.B
for a color like 255,179,238 is rendered as:
My color is 255,179,238 where red is 255, green is 179 and blue is 238
by Constantin Florea on May 8 2012 2:36pm Reply

In a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro SP1 environment, my custom colors were kept in another location. The initial location (C:\Program Files (x86)\ColorPic 4.1) had a palettes.xml file, but this did not contain my saved palette colors. If you'll notice in file explorer, there is a button labeled, "Compatibility files" just beneath the toolbar. Click it. You are shortcutted (sp?) to another location on your computer, something like mine, (C:\Users\mike\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\ColorPic 4.1). There is another palettes.xml file. THIS is where your custom palettes are kept. They seem to be stored at the bottom of the XML list.
by Mike C on Jul 8 2016 7:18pm Reply

Our Software Stores

IconicoAccurate Design and Development Software

BitsDuJourDiscount Deal Coupons for Windows and Mac Software Apps

Our Software Services

IcoBlogOur Official Blog

© copyright 2004-2024 Iconico, Inc. Code & Design. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Terms of Use Login