ICONICO

Discussion Thread

Clipstory

Message Thread

For WindowsClipstory

Clipstory iconClipboard with History, unlimited copy and paste right at your fingertips. Access text, images and files that you've copied at the touch of a button.

Posted in the Clipstory Forum.

Security issues installing Clipstory in connection with password savers SW

I'd like to know the behaviour of Clipstory in connection with the use of password saver software like Password Key ,  Password Safe et alt.
These softwares use clipboard to move ( hopefully secret ) passwords - by mean of copy & paste -  from the encrypted safe to the field where the password is requested .

If I install your SW will these passwords be stored IN CLEAR in the 'history file' managed by Clipstory ?

..and possibly in how many other hidden locations ( temporary , swap ,..and whatsoever created by you SW ) ?

Won't all this pose a threat in security ??

Thank  a lot   ,  Enrico .

by Enrico Franchi on Jul 28 2012 11:12am Reply

Clipstory stores anything that is added to the clipboard. At least yet, it does not have a way to encrypt the individual items stored in History but you can delete unwanted items.
by Constantin Florea on Jul 28 2012 2:46pm Reply

...and deleting an item from the clipboard doesn't leave ANY trace of it in my computer if - and in consequence of - I use your program Clipboard Story ? 
 I relate to the possible storage of clipboard data in other (hidden ) locations for the convenience of the program ( such as TEMPORARY VARIABLES .... or whatsoever ) and the possible surviving of these 'hidden' copies of clipboard data to deletion !

Thank You very much  , Enrico .
by Enrico Franchi on Jul 29 2012 3:37am Reply

Clipstory does make a copy of the History file, just in case something happens to the active one. So after deleting the items from inside Clipstory you should quit Clipstory, delete the backup file and start Clipstory again. This is because the backup file is created only after closing the application (it has to be closed for the backup file to be created - make sure you don't sent it to the Windows tray believing you have closed it).

On an XP machine the path to the Clipstory files is:
C:\Documents and Settings\[WINDOWS_USERNAME]\Application Data\Iconico\ClipboardParserUtility
and the backup file name is ClipboardHistory.cdt_BAK file

In the above path, the [WINDOWS_USERNAME] has be to replaced with the username of your Windows account.
by Constantin Florea on Jul 29 2012 7:24am Reply

Wow..... doesn't looks very handy ......!
anyway thanks a lot of your answers , Constantin !
Enrico .
by Enrico Franchi on Jul 29 2012 1:26pm Reply

Our Software Stores

IconicoAccurate Design and Development Software

BitsDuJourDiscount Deal Coupons for Windows and Mac Software Apps

Our Software Services

IcoBlogOur Official Blog

© copyright 2004-2024 Iconico, Inc. Code & Design. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Terms of Use Login