ICONICO

Discussion Thread

UniToolbox

Message Thread

Developer ComponentFor WindowsUniToolbox

UniToolbox iconThe leading control suite for Unicode development in Visual Basic.

Posted in the UniToolbox Forum.

FAQ: What support is provided for Windows 95, 98 and ME?

I have been looking at your product and it certainly looks like a neat solution - certainly in 2000 and XP apps. it's an answer to a prayer. You mention in passing some win98, ME support via MSLU. What support exactly is provided? I cannot see any evidence.

With UniToolbox, users running the code page based Windows platforms Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me, will be able to read and input any Unicode character that can be mapped to a character in the particular code page in use on their computer. For example, a user of a localised Chinese version of Windows 95 is able to read the Chinese character data entered by the Windows 2000 user and is able to enter Chinese characters that can be stored in a database as Unicode and later viewed by the user on the English version of Windows 2000.
by Nico Westerdale on Jan 2 2009 2:20pm Reply

FAQ: What support is provided for Windows 95, 98 and ME?

Some people have recently asked a little more about the support, and here is some extra details on Windows 9x:

UniToolbox (UniText, UniCombo, UniLabel, UniList) has never fully supported Unicode on non-Unicode platforms (Windows 9x series operating systems). It provides the best support it can. This amounts to converting the Unicode data contained by Visual Basic and the UniToolbox control to the default code page of the Windows 9x system, before the characters are rendered by the system's text box control. The effect of this is that Unicode characters that can be successfully represented by the default system code page are rendered correctly, but others characters are not. To give a concrete example, Unicode character data for Traditional Chinese characters will rendered correctly on a Traditional Chinese language version of Windows 95, but Unicode character data for Japanese characters will not.

We added functionality in this area to UniToolbox some years ago to allow the code page used to convert on non-Unicode systems to be specified by the user. See 'Codepage' property. Please, note that use of this property will only produce the desired effect if the specified code page is installed on the target system.
by Nico Westerdale on Mar 2 2009 11:35am Reply

Our Software Stores

IconicoAccurate Design and Development Software

BitsDuJourDiscount Deal Coupons for Windows and Mac Software Apps

Our Software Services

IcoBlogOur Official Blog

© copyright 2004-2024 Iconico, Inc. Code & Design. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Terms of Use Login