ICONICO

Discussion Thread

UniToolbox

Message Thread

Developer ComponentFor WindowsUniToolbox

UniToolbox iconThe leading control suite for Unicode development in Visual Basic.

Posted in the UniToolbox Forum.

UniCombo not firing Validate events

I'm having some serious problems with my code because the UniCombo control is not firing Validate events i.e. if a control has the focus and I click a UnitCombo control the control's Validate event does not fire. CausesValidation is set to true for the UniCombo box. Other UniToolbox controls seem to fire Validate events as expected. Please help.
by Gary Shepherdson on Mar 20 2009 10:47am Reply

The Validate event fires fine for me on my test form:

Private Sub UniCombo1_Validate(Cancel As Boolean)
MsgBox ("valid comb")
End Sub
by Nico Westerdale on Mar 24 2009 10:29am Reply

Here's how this bug can be demontrated in 5 minutes:

1) Add an ordinary VB text box to a form. Put the code Msgbox "Hello!" into the Validate event of the text box.

2) Add a UniCombo box control and an ordinary VB button to the form.

3) Run the form.

4) Click inside the textbox control and then click the Unicombo control. The textbox Validate event does not fire.

5) Click inside the textbox control and then click the button control. The Validate event fires as expected - 'Hello!' appears on the screen.

Can you confirm this as a bug? Is there a fix available for it?
by Gary Shepherdson on Mar 24 2009 10:35am Reply

Thank you for your response.

It is not the Validate event of theUniCombo control that is the problem.

As you can see from my last post it is the Validate events of the other controls on the form that are not firing when the the UniCombo control is selected.
by Gary Shepherdson on Mar 24 2009 10:42am Reply

Yes I understood that, it seems very hard to pin down exactly when this happens, as it's the interaction between the controls.
I suggest manually firing the Validation upon your button click as a workaround to the problem.
by Nico Westerdale on Mar 24 2009 10:54am Reply

I just created a test form from scratch to test the validation and the validation events occur for me in almost all instances, but re-clicking and realtering values seems occasionally to loose a validation event.
Currently we have no fix available for this and I suggest that you use a workaround to resolve the edge cases and sorry for the frustration caused.
by Nico Westerdale on Mar 24 2009 10:52am Reply

Unfortunately the Validation events are not firing at all for me.

I am going to try using the LostFocus event instead of the Validate event in each control. If the input validation fails then I can set the focus back to control to simulate the cancelling functionality of the Validate event. For example:

Private Sub tbox_LostFocus()

If Not IsNumeric(tbox.Text) Then
tbox.SetFocus
tbox.BackColor = vbRed
Else
tbox.BackColor = vbWhite
End If

End Sub
by Gary Shepherdson on Mar 24 2009 12:38pm Reply

I'm surprised that they're not firing at all for you, but I think your approach for the workaround is a sound idea. Sorry for any difficultycaused.
by Nico Westerdale on Mar 24 2009 12:41pm Reply

Our Software Stores

IconicoAccurate Design and Development Software

BitsDuJourDiscount Deal Coupons for Windows and Mac Software Apps

Our Software Services

IcoBlogOur Official Blog

© copyright 2004-2024 Iconico, Inc. Code & Design. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Terms of Use Login