ICONICO

Discussion Thread

Screen Calipers

Message Thread

For WindowsScreen Calipers

Screen Calipers iconThe accurate way to measure on a screen, at any angle in pixels, inches or any unit.

Posted in the Screen Calipers Forum.

Calibration to 1/24"

I'm having some trouble with customizing the calibration. What I want to do is be able to increment the caliper by 0.0417" (1/24") every time I hit SHIFT|Arrow. So, if I start out at 0", if I hit SHIFT|Arrow 24 times, then the measurement should be 1.

Can you give me a nudge in the right direction?

PS: I want to create a 1/48 as well, and maybe I can figure that one out once I see the settings for 1/24.

Thanks!
Kael
by Kael Dowdy on May 31 2006 8:45am Reply

Calibration to 1/24"

Kael,

The calibration of the Screen Calipers, and all our measurement tools, is based on the pixel. Nudging wit the arrow keys will move and extend the measurement by a single pixel. Holding Shift will extend by ten pixels.

This is done regardless of the calibration that the tool is set at, which is why you're seeing the behavior that you have at the moment. Currently there is no way to change this setting as we start to get into the realm of sub-pixel measurement, which is an area that we're investigating for future versions of the tools. Due to the nature of the computer screen being a grid of pixels this does create some idiosyncrasies.

There are a few other commands that you might want to try instead. Using the keyboard you can type any distance and the Calipers adjusts to that distance. You can also type "+0.0417" and then press "Enter" and the Calipers will adjust by that amount.

I hope that this answers your question, and explains the approach that we've taken with the calibration of the product.
by Nico Westerdale on May 31 2006 9:20am Reply

Calibration to 1/24"

Thanks Nico.

I guess I miscommunicated a bit, and didn't understand what the SHIFT key does.

What I want to do is configure a custom unit to give me 1/24 of an inch. So if I click the Extend Distance arrow on the caliper tool, it will increment by 1/24 of an inch every time I click the arrow.

So, starting at 0, it will go to .0417", .0833", .0125" ... .9167, .9583, 1.000. I had it working a long time ago (maybe in a previous version), but can't remember how to set the ratio in the Configure Custom Units window. The math is escaping me at the moment :)

Does that explain what I'm trying to do a little better?

Thanks,
Kael

by Kael Dowdy on May 31 2006 11:39am Reply

Calibration to 1/24"

That was supposed to be ".1250" by the way...
by Kael Dowdy on May 31 2006 11:41am Reply

Calibration to 1/24"

Kael,

My appologies, in the post above I've mistaken 'Ctrl' for 'Shift'.

I understand now what you're trying to do. First set the Calipers to measure 24 pixels, and then open up the Calibrate Units screen. Then choose the 'Set the current measurement to be X custom units' option. In that textbox type '1'. Then click 'OK'.

You'll now see that the Calipers moves by 1/24th of a unit for every pixel.
by Nico Westerdale on May 31 2006 11:47am Reply

Our Software Stores

IconicoAccurate Design and Development Software

BitsDuJourDiscount Deal Coupons for Windows and Mac Software Apps

Our Software Services

IcoBlogOur Official Blog

© copyright 2004-2024 Iconico, Inc. Code & Design. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Terms of Use Login