ICONICO

Discussion Thread

UltimaCalc

Message Thread

For WindowsUltimaCalc

UltimaCalc iconThe Ultimate Windows Math Toolbox

Posted in the UltimaCalc Forum.

Saving equations

In the main window I can enter variables and an equation.
For example: R1=10;R2=100; (R1*R2)/(R1+R2)
I press Enter and I get my result.

My question is how do I save this (variables and equation)
so I don't have to enter it in every time. I just open the app
and select a file and then change the value of R1 and R2 then
hit Enter.

Is there a way to do this and I'm just missing it?
Any help would be appreciated.
by Keith Anderson on Jun 30 2011 6:45pm Reply

Saving equations

What you need to do is to create a function. Select the menu item "View / User variables etc.". Right click inside the window that opens, and select "Add new function".
A window opens with a box into which you type a function name, say, 'parallel'.
Another bos has the title 'Parameters', with two brackets shown. Inside the brackets, type r1, r2
Now enter the function definition: r1*r2/(r1+r2)
Click on OK
Close the two windows that opened, so that you are back in Ultimacalc's main window.
You can now enter parallel(20, 30) and the result of the calculation will be computed, in this case 12.
Ultimacalc will save the definition for you.
The names you entered as parameters are not treated as normal variables, but are local to the function, so you can use r1 and r2 as normal variables and the function will not affect them.

by Anand Shraddhan on Jun 30 2011 7:12pm Reply

Saving equations

What you need to do is to create a function. Select the menu item "View / User variables etc.". Right click inside the window that opens, and select "Add new function".
A window opens with a box into which you type a function name, say, 'parallel'.
Another bos has the title 'Parameters', with two brackets shown. Inside the brackets, type r1, r2
Now enter the function definition: r1*r2/(r1+r2)
Click on OK
Close the two windows that opened, so that you are back in Ultimacalc's main window.
You can now enter parallel(20, 30) and the result of the calculation will be computed, in this case 12.
Ultimacalc will save the definition for you.
The names you entered as parameters are not treated as normal variables, but are local to the function, so you can use r1 and r2 as normal variables and the function will not affect them.

by Anand Shraddhan on Jun 30 2011 7:12pm Reply

Saving equations

Thank you for the instructions.
Unfortunately, after selecting "View / User variables etc." and right
clicking nothing comes up. I tried it in XP and WIN7.

I forgot to mention that I'm using the trial of the standard version. Maybe it is disabled or only available in the Pro version.

Thanks for your help.

by Keith Anderson on Jun 30 2011 9:53pm Reply

Saving equations

Got it to work finally.

The User Variables window didn't have anything in it.
So, I did the equation in the main window again.
Now the User Variables window had those variables
from the main window. I was then able to right
click and add the equation there.

Now it's time to play with it some more.
by Keith Anderson on Jun 30 2011 11:30pm Reply

Saving equations

There is a minor bug in the Variables window -- the right click only works if you do it on an existing line. To define a new function, it doesn't matter what line you right click on.

Unfortunately, if there are no variables, constants or functions defined, there is nothing to right click on!

The remedy is to define some variable. Close the Variables window. In the main Ultimacalc window, create a variable by typing something like:
A=0
and hit Enter.

The variable 'A' is now defined, and you can go back to the Variables window, right clidk on it and define your function.
by Anand Shraddhan on Jul 1 2011 7:04am Reply

Our Software Stores

IconicoAccurate Design and Development Software

BitsDuJourDiscount Deal Coupons for Windows and Mac Software Apps

Our Software Services

IcoBlogOur Official Blog

© copyright 2004-2024 Iconico, Inc. Code & Design. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Terms of Use Login