ICONICO

Discussion Thread

Magnifier

Message Thread

For WindowsMagnifier

Magnifier iconEasily zoom in on areas of your screen and work with every detail.

Posted in the Magnifier Forum.

Add screen hook option

Would it be possible to add a facility to magnify a certain area of the screen, like what it does when you unselect follow mouse, but not just on the center of the area the window is over? The only other magnification software that offers screen hooking is Dolphins Lunar, but it costs about £350 for a licence!

Thanks!
by Adam Thwaites on Jun 17 2008 1:40pm Reply

Add screen hook option

I'mnot sure if I follow. How do you tell the magnifier which area of the screen to enlarge?
by Nico Westerdale on Jun 17 2008 2:27pm Reply

Add screen hook option

Similar to this idea about a sceen hook would be to have a hot key on the follow the mouse option. Thereby the user would use follow the mouse to get to the correct section of the screen, then hit the hot key and the follow the mouse option would be removed. Magnifier would then magnify the section of the screen where the mosue last was.

On a different point I noticed that the image always projects to the left, making it hard to highlight some on the left hand side of the screen.
by Matthew Kilgour on Jul 1 2008 7:16pm Reply

Add screen hook option

Please forgive me in advance if I misunderstand your question. I believe you are asking if it is possible for the magnifier to continuously magnify a specified part of the screen continuously while the mouse is being moved. Please someone correct me if I am in error here. But the effect desired is available in version 2.4. It is achieved by deselecting the `Follow Mouse' box. That feature seems to be missing from version 3.0. I did a quick search and found a download source for version 2.4, which I prefer over version 3.0 for the aforementioned reason. I don't see any real differences between these two versions, other than 2.4 having the ability to keep a fixed magnified focus on a specific area of the screen.

Wayne
by Wayne King on Jul 4 2008 6:19pm Reply

Add screen hook option

I think you must be confused the latest version is 2.4. We have no version 3.0. You might have mistaken version 2.0 which we have on the download page which works on old versions of Windows.
by Nico Westerdale on Jul 4 2008 6:37pm Reply

Add screen hook option

OK, I may be confused. However, when I rest my pointer over its icon, the tool tip reads "file version 3.0.0.0. This is the one I just downloaded from this site. I was simply trying to determine the differences between it and version 2.4. Here's what I observed.

The latest version has the 'Stay On Top' feature, which I like, whereas the version 2.4 does not.

Version 2.4 allows the user to select between 'Follow Mouse' and 'Magnify as Moved' modes, whereas the latest version does not.

The latest version doesn't remember settings, whereas version 2.4 does.

Please let me know if I am mistaken. I just want to understand these two version's similarities and differences.

Wayne
by Wayne King on Jul 4 2008 6:49pm Reply

Add screen hook option

The version on the file is incorrect. It's really 2.4. It remembers settings.
Version 3.0 does not exist.
by Nico Westerdale on Jul 4 2008 6:51pm Reply

Add screen hook option

I respectfully disagree. I have both 2.4 and 3.0 on my PC. In fact, I just found another difference among the ones I've already pointed out. The latest version's zoom control will not work with the mouse wheel, whereas the 2.4 does.

Wayne
by Wayne King on Jul 4 2008 7:04pm Reply

Add screen hook option

The file is named incorrectly.
Version 2.4 is the latest version.
We wrote it, so clearly we know.
by Nico Westerdale on Jul 4 2008 7:06pm Reply

Add screen hook option

OK, I owe you a big apology. I understand what you are saying. The actual file has been misnamed. So, what I actually downloaded was 2.0 and version 2.4 is a later, and in several ways, better. Well, it is very helpful software and I'm glad to have both versions : - )

Wayne
by Wayne King on Jul 4 2008 7:11pm Reply

Add screen hook option

You got it Wayne. We keep version 2.0 up there for older Windows versions.
by Nico Westerdale on Jul 4 2008 7:12pm Reply

Add screen hook option

WOW! I just found another advantage of version 2.4. It remembers your custom settings, so that when you shut down your PC and start it later, version 2.4 starts with your last used settings.

Wayne
by Wayne King on Jul 4 2008 6:30pm Reply

Add screen hook option

The current version only magnifies what is directly behind the window, whereas if it could hook, you could either manually select an area or as Matthew suggested:

'Similar to this idea about a sceen hook would be to have a hot key on the follow the mouse option. Thereby the user would use follow the mouse to get to the correct section of the screen, then hit the hot key and the follow the mouse option would be removed. Magnifier would then magnify the section of the screen where the mosue last was.'
by Adam Thwaites on Jul 7 2008 4:06am Reply

Add screen hook option

Nice idea about the screen hook, we'll consider it!
by Nico Westerdale on Jul 7 2008 6:46am Reply

Add screen hook option

Yes, this is exactly the functionality I have been looking for, ive tried loads of different magnifiers and none of them seem to do this.

Another function Id like to see is the ability effectively turn the mouse into a magnifier so that it just magnifies say 3x exactly where the mouse is. Im willing to accept it working just above the cursor, as it would need to allow for editing and clicking etc...
by John Denley on Dec 25 2009 1:27pm Reply

Add screen hook option

I second the hook option.  I want to enlarge a "fixed" area of the screen and never have it move, it should work something like Ithis:
1) check box for hook magnifier (this will eventually turn off the check for follow mouse, but for now it turns it on) 
2) a dialog box appears that says:
"center mouse over the area you want to magnify, and then click 
ctrl+alt+xxx"
3) at that time the magnifier is "hooked" to that spot and the magnifier never moves, the checkbox on the "follow mouse" goes off.

3a) to turn off hook, simply recheck the follow mouse button, and the "hook magnifier" box unchecks, and we are back to default operation.
by jon leslie on May 13 2015 2:34pm Reply

Our Software Stores

IconicoAccurate Design and Development Software

BitsDuJourDiscount Deal Coupons for Windows and Mac Software Apps

Our Software Services

IcoBlogOur Official Blog

© copyright 2004-2024 Iconico, Inc. Code & Design. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Terms of Use Login